Substation Construction Guidelines explains the steps involved in building substation and in expanding an existing substation. While the coverage is primarily about constructing new substations, much of the material is applicable to existing substations.
This book is organized as a series of work practices. Each practice can be accessed individually, and reviewed before performing a specific task.
* Safety in substations.
* How to read substation one-line drawings.
* Installing the ground grid.
* Hot to pour, test concrete.
* Safe rigging practices.
* Erecting steel structures, buses.
* How to install and test major substation equipment: circuit breakers, transformers, surge arresters, disconnects, regulators, reactors, capacitors, batteries, instrument transformers.
* Procedures for grounding equipment, fences.
* Installing and testing control devices.
* Commissioning and energizing a substation.
The text is richly illustrated with drawings and photos. The appendix at the end of the book has 60 photos which document step-by-step construction of an actual substation.