A multivendor demonstration to exchange phasor data over a wide-area network was held in February at the NASPI meeting in Fort Worth, Texas. The participating vendors were CISCO, GE Digital Energy, OSIsoft, InStep, SISCO, Space Time Insight, Verizon and the Electric Power Research Institute.
- Demonstrate interoperable IEC 61850 90-5 based phasor data exchange over a Wide Area Network (WAN).
- Demonstrate IP Multicast routing of phasor data across the WAN
- Demonstrate common API support for C37.118 & IEC 61850-90-5
- Demonstrate CIM-based PMU Registry data exchange using secure web services over a wide area.
Actual Geography Involved
The demo used live synchrophasor measurements that were streamed across Verizon-provided communications links between three EPRI labs in Lenox, Massachusetts, Charlotte, North Carolina, and Knoxville, Tennessee, and the demo presentation site in Fort Worth. The Knoxville site also simulates a utility operations center and was also sending data to Fort Worth. The demo also included a local area network in Fort Worth with a local PMU live generating data.
A successful demonstration of key technologies took place at the NASPI meeting that included:
- Interoperable IEC 61850 90-5 based phasor data exchange over a wide area.
- IP Multicast routing of phasor data across the WAN
- Common API support for C37.118 & IEC 61850-90-5
- CIM-based PMU Registry data exchange using secure OPC UA web services over a wide area.